Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Lymbyc Systym is working again

I mentioned before that I've been feeling really overwhelmed with life in general. Yesterday I decided it was time to get over it and I've officially transitioned from World of the Frazzled to World of the Living. Do you ever have those time periods where everything seems unmanageable? I recently got a subscription to the New York times, and I've found that even the task of reading the newspaper makes me a little anxious. So much news to consume, so little time. Anyway, hi.

For my triumphant return to the real world, I planned to see Built to Spill. They were playing for free in Coney Island yesterday at the Siren Festival. I was super excited because I have been obsessed with BTS since high school, when I first got my hands on Ultimate Alternative Wavers. For some reason, I thought I especially identified with the song "Nowhere Nothin' Fuckup" when I was 14. Yeah, I was pretty cool. Then during the summer of 2000, I spent most of my time locked in my room, playing Sim City and listening to Keep It Like A Secret. Every time I hear the familiar hum of "The Plan" I'm hearkened back to building light residential zones in my computer chair. It had been a long time coming and I was stoked to get to see a band that I have been in love with for 50% of my life. I was packing up to head to the subway, hoping everything would be perfect from now on.

Then Pancake started barfing so I had to take her to the vet, and I missed the show. Oopsiedaisy.

But all hope was not lost. My pals Mike and Jared Bell were in town, and their band Lymbyc Systym was playing at Union Hall. Dudes, if you have not heard Lymbyc Systym yet, stop being such a dumb dumb. You should really see them live because they put on a great show. They're on tour right now, but if you can't make it out, then listen to these tracks.

Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones


The mix of soothing keyboard melodies and kick-ass drumming punctuated with bells and xylophones is pretty rad. I was so impressed by their music last night, and I think Mike might be the best drummer in the whole world. I went to school with these guys since elementary school and their dad was my rabbi. Now they're all grown up. I'll always remember them when they looked like this:

No comments: