Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Project Runway Season 5 Begins!

I am super excited for tonight's premiere of Project Runway's 5th season. It's probably going to be the last good season, since the producers Magical Elves are running for the hills and Bunim-Murray is said to be taking over the show. Also, the show will be packing up and leaving it's lovely little Bravo home to head for their new residence: Lifetime. Yes, Project Runway is going to be neighbors with the Golden Girls.

Anyways, because the show's executive producer Harvey Weinstein is making this network move, it seems that Bravo's marketing efforts for this new season have been slim to none. There have been no big subway posters, no contestant reveal commercials (remember last season's with Christian where he goes, "I'm a pretty big deal" ??) and most importantly, no substantial online info about season 5's contestants until this week. Most of my friends had NO idea that the show is premiering tonight. I guess that's Bravo's big "fuck you" to Harvey, who is rumoured to be switching networks because Bravo gets all the credit for the show's success. I read that today in a wonderful article sent to me by my friend Rolando. I highly recommend you read the story, in which a journalist from the Village Voice goes through Weinstein's trash and finds a bunch of interesting things including:
  • Printed out emails about The Weinstein Company is pressuring Tresemmé to pay millions of dollars to keep their "hair salon" on Project Runway
  • A phone sheet revealing that Harvey is looking to get in contact with Heath Ledger's (former) massage therapist
  • Nicole Kidman's old contracts from The Reader which revealed she was only going to be payed $100,00 for the film
I so wish I could have stumbled across Mr. Weinstein's trash pile, but alas, I was not so fortunate. Anyway, let's get down to PR business. Below I have posted a picture of each contestant, what Tim Gunn said about them (in a recent People interview), and my judgements of them just by looking at their pictures.

Blayne:

Tim's Take:

“The designers love him. His work is like his personality — exuberant. Blayne is hard to miss.”

My Take:

I like the fact that Blayne is an artsy fartsy barista from Seattle. Also, he likes neon! I think he's definitely gonna be one of my faves.





Daniel:

Tim's Take:

“He’s intense — not the workroom jokester … I called him ‘the sweater.’ As in perspiration.”

My Take:

He sweats and he only tucks his shirt in half way. Oh, and he has a crustache. No thanks!




Emily:

Tim's Take:

“Emily is effervescent, very likable and a positive presence in the workroom. She’s a sweetheart but she’s serious about what she does.”

My Take:

She seems like my kind of gal, but I'm not so sure about that hair-do. I think she's probably this season's Alison Kelly. (I love you Alison! Call me!)




Jennifer:

Tim's Take:

“She’s very thoughtful, smart and she is driven by literature and classic films rather than the pop culture scene.”

My Take:

Fucking Dork.




Jerell:

Tim's Take:

“He’s very generous of spirit. And by that I mean he was frequently one of the first to finish and he would help other designers. And he’s wonderfully funny.”

My Take:

He might be nice, but I just can't bring myself to trust people who wear vests.




Jerry:

Tim's Take:

“Jerry possesses an enormous amount of self-confidence. You can take that any way you want!”

My Take:
I guess this guy is probably going to be the "villain" this season but he doesn't look all that interesting. Also, his head looks like a melon.







Joe:

Tim's Take:

“He’s our one straight guy! He’s a guy’s guy and therefore he has a place on the show that’s very unique. Joe is also a family man and talks about what his daughters would wear.

My Take:

He's obviously a tough-guy guido. He probably drinks miller lite.







Keith:

Tim's Take:

“Keith is all about innovation and experimentation. But you would never pick him out of a group as being a fashion designer — you look at him and see high school football jock.”

My Take:
His arms are too beefy for my liking but I predict he will make some good outfits.






Kelli:

Tim's Take:

“She’s our rock and roller and she embraces that role. Kelli is a little ball of fire.”

My Take:

"Oooo look at me. I'm so punk rock can't you tell? I have tattered jeans and you can see my dark roots!" Bla bla I get it.







Kenley:

Tim's Take:

“Kenley is our season five Project Runway Bettie Page. And she’s true to that role, let me tell you!”

My Take:

At first glance, Kenley was my favorite. Upon closer inspection, I noticed she was wearing pants under her dress, which made me lose respect for her. Also, she needs to tame those fly-aways.






Korto:

Tim's Take:

“Still waters run deep: She seems so quiet and reserved, almost reclusive. She’s not. Korto is going to tantalize people with her work.”

My Take:

I predict a plethora of tribal designs. The Liberian Uli.







Leanne:

Tim's Take:

“She’s a conceptual designer. And when the audience gets to know her she’s a person I think they’re really going to be rooting for.”

My Take:

Looks like we've got a diva on our hands!








Stella:


Tim's Take

“Looks are deceiving with a lot of these designers. If I saw her in a dark alley I’d run — but she’s a sweetheart!”

My Take:

Gross.







Suede:


Tim's Take:

“Suede is a good problem-solver. And he’s current and contemporary in what he produces compared to, say, a Kenley who’s a little more retro.”

My Take:

That little tuft of blue hair is interesting. It nicely compliments that pudge of belly fat.






Terri:

Tim's Take:

“I found her to be another excellent problem-solver. She knew how to make it work!”

My Take:

Did she kill snuffleupagus to make those pants? How many other muppets must die this season?










Wesley:

Tim's Take:

“His designs are at the higher end of sophistication…beautiful work but there’s not a lot of risk-taking.”


My Take:

This guy is obviously geek chic. From Tim's comment, I predict he'll get off'd early in the season.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.