Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Top 10 Tracks of 2007

2007 is pretty much over, and one thing is for sure- there was a shitload of great music released this year!! I can honestly say that I can't remember another year in recent history when so many great albums came out. Since I'm obsessed with making mix tapes, I will give you a mix tape of my top 10 favorite tracks of the year. All of these tracks share at least one thing in common-- I have listened to all of them on repeat for hours on my ipod. Pitchfork Media releases their list of the top 100 tracks of 2007. I would love too do that, but really... it would take too long. So I've widdled it down, and here you have it:



10. No Cars Go- The Arcade Fire (Neon Bible)
The Arcade Fire's sophomore album was a bit of a let down compared to their much praised debut Funeral. However, this track delivers the same kind of punch as the band's first album and has a great breakdown/build up.







9. Peacebone- Animal Collective (Strawberry Jam)

When I first heard this song, I hated it. It reminded me of being on that thing on the playground that spins you around and around until you're so dizzy you want to barf. but then I gave it another chance. And another. and then like 100 more chances. And now I love it. I guess it's sort of an acquired taste-- like fine wine. As an added bonus, this song has one of the creepiest music videos I've ever seen.










8. Grolandic Edit- Of Montreal (Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?)
This disco-esque track is an anthem for modern anxieties. One of my favorite parts:
I guess it would be nice to give my heart to a god
But which one, which one do I choose?
All the churches fill with losers, psycho or confused
I just want to hold the divine in mind
And forget all of the beauty's wasted






7. Wet and Rusting- Menomena (Friend and Foe)
Creepy, sad, poppy and fun all at the same time, this track is sheer melodic rock. The piano over the changing beat is like nothing I've hear before. And I like it. A lot.









6. Bodysnatchers- Radiohead (In Rainbows)
While Radiohead's new album isn't as groundbreaking as their previous albums, this song is a step in the right direction. The band channels their Bends roots with this track. I dig the Sonic Youth influence.













5. Work Is Never Over- Diplo (Live Sessions)
Although Kanye West did it with Stronger, the remixing of Daft Punk's Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger is done better in this Diplo track. I suggest listening to this track while power walking or speed racing.







4. 20 Dollar- MIA (Kala)
Any song that can combine the lyrics of the Pixies' Where Is My Mind in a dance-worthy track is certain to win my heart. Duh.








3. Prime Time of Your Life / Brainwasher /Rollin 'and Scratchin' / Alive- Daft Punk (Alive 2007)
I guess it's sort of cheating that I kind of have 2 Daft Punk songs in my top 10, but this is actually Daft Punk rather than a DJ mixing Daft Punk (see #5.) This is the most mind blowing song off of Daft Punk's recently released live album. It combines several of the duo's old favorites into one amazing track. This makes me want to dance and cry every time I hear it.









2. Take Pills- Panda Bear (Person Pitch)

It's best to listen to this track on your ipod during your morning commute. This trippy, melancholic song is reminiscent of the Beach Boys and samples noises from the NY subway. This is my favorite song on an album that is, in my opinion, the most groundbreaking album of 2007.









1. Someone Great- LCD Soundsystem (Sound of Silver)

LCD Sound system won my heart with this number one song. If you ever have a chance to see this band live, by all means do it. It's a hell of a dance party. And Someone Great is no exception, but it is definitely the most somber track on Sound of Silver. On songmeanings.net, there is a debate about whether this song is about a miscarriage, a girl James Murphy had an affair with, or a hero that has died. In any case, you can infer your own meaning and bop along.

No comments: