Thursday, December 20, 2007

The Best and Worst of 2007

After the positive feedback from yesterday's post, I decided to make an all encompassing best and worst list of 2007.

The Best of 2007:



Best Movie: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
I really don't want to give anything away here in case you haven't seen the movie because it's truly spectacular. So if you haven't, stop reading this and SEE IT RIGHT NOW. Seriously. Get off your ass and go to the movie theater pronto.






Best Album: ALIVE 2007- Daft Punk

This is a live album of what was undoubted the greatest dance party concert in the history of everness. I was supposed to go to this show in NYC but I couldn't make it because of unfortunate family circumstances. Still, this album makes me feel like I'm right there watching my favorite DJ duo. The best songs of Daft Punk's repertoire are beautifuly remixed and remodeled by none other than Daft Punk themselves. This is a must buy for anyone who loves Daft Punk.


Best Scripted TV Show: CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM
Larry David used real life tragedy to bring us laughs this season on Curbed. Using fire from his real life divorce, he delivered some of the funniest episodes to date. One thing is for sure-- the Blacks were a great addition to the David household, especially Leon.




Best "Reality" TV Show: THE HILLS
I use quotations around the word Reality because I'm pretty sure this shit ain't real. But watching Whitney's crazy face-making, Justin Bobby's words of wisdom and a dramatic reading of Brody's address book are enough to keep me coming back. I even got Galen hooked on this show!












Best Ad Campaign: SIMPSONIZE ME
I think everyone and their mom went on to the Burger King Simpsonize Me site to make their own Simpsons avatar. My friend Meredith who uses a computer about once a month and still uses an AOL email account even Simpsonized herself. (Pictured) I still love you Mere.



Best Celebrity Gossip Provider: BRITNEY SPEARS
Thanks for a great year Britney! Packed with head shaving, bad extensions, child custody battles, drug addiction, a quacktacular VMA performance and pregnancy rumors, this has been one special year for the Britters! I can't wait to see what happens to her next year. Bonus points for Britney's 16 year old sister recently getting knocked up by her 19 year old boyfriend.


The Worst of 2007:
Here were the biggest let downs of this year.


Worst Movie: MARGO AT THE WEDDING
Noah Baumbach's last movie THE SQUID AND THE WHALE was my favorite movie of 2005. I was hoping to be blown away by his film this year, but with a star studded cast including Nicole Kidman and Jack Black, I was a little worried it might come out douche-baggy. It wasn't douchebagginess that was the problem, it was over-all suckiness. The main character was whiney and unlikeable and as a whole, the movie felt long and boring.



Worst Album: WE WERE DEAN BEFORE THE SHIP EVEN SANK- Modest Mouse
Modest Mouse was one of my favorite bands in high school. After the release of their last album Good News for People Who Love Bad News, I was hoping they would use their next release to return to their roots of awesome rockingness. Boy was I wrong. This is the worst album I've listened to this year, and even seeing the songs performed live didn't help sell me on them.



Worst Reality TV Show: TOP CHEF
I had really high hopes for this show, but when Tre was sent home, I stopped caring about the competition. True, I learned some good recipes, but all of the three finalists were pretty uninteresting. Dale was gay and sad, Casey was a woman (gasp!) and Hung (the winner) was a prissy slimebag.



Worst Ad Campaign: MACY*S GIFT CARD
Thanks Macy's for ruining MySpace. There was a 2 month period when every time I logged on to my account, someone had spammed my comments with shitty pictures of this stupid gift card. Way to use viral marketing to destroy a social network.







Worst Celebrity Gossip Provider: LINDSAY LOHAN
For someone who has been in and out of rehab more times that Courtney Love, L-Lo has had a poor showing of exciting scandals this year. The knife incident (pictured) was probably the juiciest of Linsay's trials and tribulations. But hearing all about her Wu-Tang obsessed boyfriend I lost interest, and the reports about how she might have had a shot of vodka were pretty much a snooze. The recent lesbian rumors about Lindsay and her friend who she held hands with are really boring me to tears. Watch oout L-lo, Jamie Lynn Spears is about to take yo' place!

No comments: