Monday, December 10, 2007

Porish

Some of you may be hip to the term "Engrish"-- the faulty yet cute Japanese attempt at English. Here's a fun example:

My buddy Aaron lives in Japan and wrote a pretty funny blog about his recent Engrish encounters.

Well today I got a little dose of Porish. Those of you familiar with Greenpoint probably know that all the landlords are Polish and relatively crazy. After several weeks of freezing cold apartment dwelling (it got down to 59 degrees in my place last week) my landlord finally decided it was time to turn on the heat. Don't get me wrong, that was great, but what was NOT great was the leak in the radiator that caused water to pour onto all of our electronics. Luckily, the landlord was kind enough to have the problem fixed while I was at work. He decided to let Galen know that the problem was solved by leaving this note:
We thought this note was pretty interesting, mostly because English is Robert's first language. His mother was Polish, but he was born and raised in New York, and grew up speaking English. Therefore, the above grammatical errors are slightly troubling, but still cute.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From a Anglo Pol living in Greenpoint, whose first language was Polish and who learnt English from a Polish mother that discovered how to converse further than "Where is the discotheque?" by reading Thackery & Dickens, I feel I can cast some light on this: The pols don't use articles, 'a', 'the' and 'an' - which totally screws your head up when trying to form written English sentences well - trust me, I spent my life correcting these in my Mother's highbrow (and top scoring) BA & MA essays. Or... maybe they just shut him in the basement with the non-working boiler during his formative years.