Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Thank You For Being A Friend

It is a sad day folks... Estelle Getty of Golden Girls Fame passed away this morning at age 84. From TMZ:
Estelle passed away at 5:35 AM this morning at her L.A. home surrounded by her family and caregivers. Getty had been suffering for years with Lewy Body Dementia.
In one of my favorite Golden Girls episodes, the girls are hanging out in the living room and Rose is telling a St. Olaf story. The doorbell rings and Sophia says, "I hope it's Death."

If you didn't know, I am a huge fan of The Golden Girls. When I was 6, I wrote them a letter telling them how much I loved their show and that I was their biggest fan. They sent me back a postcard with a picture of all of them on the front holding a stuffed alligator. In this picture, Estelle Getty didn't have her gray wig on for some reason and I found it to be very confusing at the time. On the back, they wrote "See ya Saturday night! Love, The Golden Girls." It was so exciting for me to think that the girls had received my letter and taken the time to write me back. I decided to send them another letter so they would know how serious I was about this friendship. I guess it was more than just a letter- it was a package filled with information about me and questions for them like, "what is your favorite color?" and "what is your favorite type of cheesecake?" I also included several pictures of myself and some drawings I made for them. They never wrote me back a second time and I was pretty heartbroken. But it was then when Estelle Getty and the rest of the girls taught me one of my most important life lessons: the eager beaver never gets the worm.

Anyway, goodnight sweet Sophia. I hope heaven is a lot like Sicily.

No comments: